Generally speaking, online marketing is anything that you do online to get more viewers on your web page and grab their attention and hopefully, get them to buy your products at some point. It is the effort made to gain more attention towards your company that uses the internet.
Marketing your products online might be a challenge in the beginning, so here are some few basic tips which will help you get started and expand your reach.
Know your target audience.
Know what type of audience your product attracts. Make sure you can answer these 2 questions :
- To whom would you offer your product or service?
- Who would be interested in the benefits it offers?
Create user personas of your ideal users. User persona is a reliable and realistic representations of your key audience segments. Basically, you are creating a fictional character. This will help you answer the two questions above. This will help you understand your audience more.
The better you know your audience, the more effectively you can create appealing content, designs, promotions, placements and so on. For example, if your audience is students then you can post longer blogs where you can provide a lot of information. Maybe your audience is businessmen then you can change the layout of your web page to a very formal one. Impress your audience by twerking things a little at a time. Huge changes might not be favorable for all the audience.
To get to know your audience, you can use google analytics. It gives you a ton of information about your users. Learn more about google analytics here. (link to GA blog)
Create S.M.A.R.T goals.
Goal settings help you create a clear picture of where you wanna go with your business.
It motivates you and your team to complete your task within a certain deadline.
S.M.A.R.T goals are:
- Specific: Your goal should be well defined, precise and clearly understandable by everyone. For example, doubling the number of users, decreasing the bounce rate by 25% and so on.
- Measurable: Your goals should be measurable in terms of quality and quantity. Measurable goals help to assess progress. You should constantly be trying to make your content better.
- Acceptable: Goals should be acceptable within the assigned team. There shouldn’t be any disagreement between authorities. For example, you might want to change the design of the webpage but it might not be acceptable to the designer. Work together with your team to come up with the best goals which are acceptable by the people assigned to it.
- Realistic: Goals should be realistic in the sense that the team should believe that it can be achieved. Unachievable goals demotivate the team. This might vary from one company to the other. For example, doubling the content created might be an achievable goal for a large scale company with lots of workers but it might be an unachievable goal for a small scale company with just one or two writers.
- Time-bound: Goals should be bound by a time frame. Estimation of the time period for goal accomplishment is a must. It also creates a sense of urgency amongst the team and motivates them. For example, double the sales within a year, create a new web page within a month and so on.
The work will run more smoothly and effectively if you make S.M.A.R.T goals.
Interact with your Audience
No one likes a dead social media page. You should interact with your audience daily. Reply to their messages, tweets, comments, etc as soon as possible. Posting a lot of times at once might not be the best idea since Facebook doesn’t show the posts you posted later on your viewers’ newsfeed if you post a lot. However, replying is always good. Customers today find it annoying when an offline shop does not accept credit card or an online retailer does not respond to their comments
Search Engine Optimization
Always optimize everything on your website for search engines. It helps search engines crawl and index easily. When a user searches for something on search engines relevant to your page, you want to be on the first results displayed. There are various ways to optimize your content like, including keywords, optimizing URLs, putting alt texts in images and so on. Optimizing your content for search engines leads to ranking higher in the Search Engine Result Page for relevant query and hence, getting more traffic. About 60% traffic in an average website is gained through search engines. Learn more about SEO here. (link to old SEO blog)
Blogging is always good. Your audience gets to know you and your product much better through it. Tell how your products can better the lives of the consumers. You can easily promote your business after your blogging establishes you as an expert in your sector. Here are some few tips on how to blog. (link to old blog post).
The best way for your readers to be up to date with your latest offers, new products and announcements are through email. Email marketing is basically making a list of your audience and sending each person a message which provides them with something of value. This gives off a more personal feel towards the readers. Make sure you establish an email subscription for free.
Pay Per Click
Cost per click or Pay per click basically means paying a publisher to advertise your products on their page and pay them for each click. Choose specific keywords that are most closely associated with your product and have your ads displayed in the sponsored links of search engines.
Give your customers an offline experience if possible. Directly visiting your office or your store will give customers a sense of trust. Make sure that your company details are up to date on Google maps. Having a local store or office means customers get to review your business locally too which is a plus point. Customers will always want to know your local address.